Dec 04, 2020  
2016-2017 Graduate Catalog 
2016-2017 Graduate Catalog [Archived Catalog]

Student Resources and Services


University Residence Halls

The University provides residence hall accommodations for students in seven traditional residence halls and two apartment/suite halls. Graduate students are welcome to live in University Housing with the exception of Beede, Olson, and Mickelson Halls. These Halls are reserved for undergraduate students. Additional information may be obtained from University Housing at 605-677-5663 or on campus at the Temporary Student Center (Building 33), Suite 101.

Off-Campus Housing

Vermillion offers a variety of rooms, apartments, mobile homes, and houses for rent to University students. The University is not responsible for off-campus housing and it is considered an entirely separate entity.  Students must make rental arrangements with the individual landlords.  You can view current listings in the Vermillion area, along with valuable information for finding housing to suit your personal needs at

Writing Center

The Writing Center offers assists with papers or writing assignments. Students can schedule an appointment online in the USD portal under the Academics tab, email, call 605-677-5626, or stop by Room 133 in the Academic Commons (I.D. Weeks Library, first floor). Distance students can receive help in the Online Writing Center in D2L.

Graduate and Professional Student Association

GPSA, in addition to planning social events, organizes workshops beneficial to graduate and professional students and functions as an advocacy group with aims to improve school policies regarding the needs of Graduate and Professional students. For more information, email GPSA at or find them on Facebook.

Center for Academic & Global Engagement (CAGE)

Center for Academic & Global Engagement
Academic Commons, Room 103

International Student Support

The center offers international students comprehensive support services including new student orientations, cultural programming, local social events, and excursions around the region. CAGE also provides immigration-related advising and support, including determining visa eligibility, maintaining valid status, and guidance on various USCIS procedures. For more information visit

Study Abroad and Exchange Courses

International travel and study abroad enhance a student’s resume with experiences and skills that are difficult to obtain in any other way. There are numerous exciting and educational study abroad opportunities available and most are open to graduate and professional students. These experiences may be during the semester or summer.

USD holds sponsored exchange programs in such countries as Wales, Australia, Germany, Spain, France, Hungary, and Japan. In most cases, students pay USD tuition and receive credit toward their program of study. To determine if study abroad is possible or appropriate for their program, students should consult with their graduate advisor.

Student Counseling Center

Cook House
414 East Clark Street
Vermillion, SD 57069
Phone: 605-677-5777
Fax: 605-677-6226

The University of South Dakota Student Counseling Center (SCC) is committed to providing high quality counseling and consultation services in a safe, welcoming, and affirming environment, conducive to the development and empowerment of a diverse community of learners.  Students seek services at the Student Counseling Center for a variety of reasons.  Some of these include: anxiety, depression, crisis, relationship concerns, eating disorders, trauma, suicidal thoughts, substance use, addictive behaviors, violence, and abuse.