Apr 23, 2021
60 Credit Hours Required
The 2-year Associate of Arts in Graphic and Web Design at the USD Community College for Sioux Falls will provide students with critical knowledge as well as functional skills that will enable program graduates for entry into the design filled job market or to continue their studies toward a bachelor’s degree. Courses from the A.A. degree will transfer into the B.F.A. in Art and the B.F.A. in Art Education with two years of study completed through the A.A. (60 credits) and 60 additional credits required to complete the USD B.F.A. Art or ART Education degree. Students in the program will develop a body of creative works that can be added to their portfolio for job applications or future schooling applications.
System General Education Requirements (24 hours)
- Composition 6cr SGR #1
- Oral Communication 3cr SGR #2
- Social Sciences 6cr (must be in 2 disciplines/prefixes) SGR #3
- Arts and Humanities 3cr (select from either Fine Arts or Humanities courses) SGR #4
- Mathematics 3cr SGR #5
- Natural Sciences 3cr SGR #6
Major Requirements (18 hours)
Required Support Courses Outside the Major (18 hours)
Student Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate proficiency in a range of computer graphics software: (ex. Adobe Creative Cloud: Illustrator, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, and Muse).
- Demonstrate critical thinking skills.
- Demonstrate knowledge of color theory and how to apply it.
- Understand terminology used in the graphic design industry
- Demonstrate Ideation Skills through design thinking techniques
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively.
- Produce a portfolio of work that meets industry and accreditation expectations.
- Students will be able to systematically explore issues, objects or works through the collection and analysis of evidence that results in informed conclusions or judgments, and break down complex topics or issues into parts to gain a better understanding of them.
- Students will comprehensively explore issues, ideas, artifacts and events before accepting or formulating an opinion or conclusion, and combine or synthesize existing ideas, images or expertise in original ways reflecting a high degree of innovation, divergent thinking, and risk taking.
- Students will be able to demonstrate cognitive, effective, and behavioral skills that support effective and appropriate interaction in a variety of cultural contexts.
- Students will engage in purposeful, ongoing learning activities that improve their knowledge, skills and competence in their personal and professional lives.
- Students will intentionally engage with diversity in ways that increase awareness, content knowledge, cognitive sophistication, and empathic understanding of the complex ways individuals interact within systems and institutions leading to opportunities for equal access to participation in educational and community programs for all members of society.
State Authorization - It Matters Where You Live
If your learning placement course (internship, externship, clinical, rotation, practicum, independent study, study away, etc.) or your online course will be taken outside South Dakota, please reference the State Authorization webpage.