Michelle Van Maanen, Chairperson
Al Neuharth Media Center
Charles Lubbers, Strategic Communication
Teddi Joyce, Strategic Communication
Michelle Van Maanen, Journalism/Strategic Communication
Janet Davison, Journalism
Gary Larson, Digital Media/Sport Marketing
Todd Mechling, Journalism/Strategic Communication
Journalist in Residence:
Chuck Baldwin, Journalism
Media & Journalism, B.A., B.S.
Sport Marketing & Media, B.A., B.S.
Journalism (Journalism/TV/Radio/Digital Media)
Strategic Communication (Advertising/Public Relations/Digital Media)
Media & Journalism
Social Media Marketing
Sport Marketing & Media
The Department of Media & Journalism prepares students for careers in both traditional and new media, as well as sport marketing. The department seeks to 1) provide students with the necessary skills to compete for entry-level positions; 2) offer principles and strategy courses that enhance the students’ prospects for later career progression to management and leadership; and 3) develop student understanding of the role of mass media in society. In addition to teaching two majors and three minors, the department operates the campus radio station, cable television station, a multiplatform news operation, a sport marketing agency and a student advertising/public relations agency. It also benefits from its location in the Al Neuharth Media Center and the presence of The Volante campus newspaper and South Dakota Public Broadcasting on the campus. The instruction is also enhanced by the activities of student chapters of the American Advertising Federation, Public Relations Student Society of America, and the Society of Professional Journalists.
Please contact the department for additional information about available scholarships and awards. Also see College of Arts & Sciences for college/school level scholarships.
- Allen H. Neuharth for Excellence in Journalism
- Dean Belbas Award for Exceptional Contribution
- E.G. Trotzig Memorial Scholarship
- Jack Marsh Scholarship & Opportunity Fund
- James & Yvonne Kuehn Scholarship
- Jim Burt Memorial Scholarship for Broadcast Journalism
- Joseph L. Floyd Memorial Scholarship
- Marjorie Burns Shanard Journalism Scholarship
- Mass Comm Scholarship
- Native American
- Norma Lewis Brown Scholarship
- Paul Friggens Memorial Scholarship
- Student Publications Scholarship
- Ted J. & Doris M. (Hoffer) Dolney Scholarship