Jun 25, 2022
61 Major Hours, 120 Degree Hours
Application for admission to the USD Dental Hygiene professional program is required. Applications are scored based on GPA, ACT composite score, recommendations, and an interview; up to 32 students are selected annually. Application materials are due by February 1 prior to the fall semester of the year for which a student is applying.
Application materials may be found on the Department website at www.usd.edu/dh. They include an application form, Technical Standards form, 3 recommendation forms, ACT composite score, dental office observation/experience, and transcripts.
Pre-admission Requirements, Including Department Specified General Education Requirements (50 hours)
Prerequisite courses must be completed prior to admission into the professional curriculum. These courses may be taken at other institutions; however, it is important to obtain approval from the Department Chairperson prior to taking these courses off campus in order to ensure their transferability. Students should apply for selection into the program by February 1 prior to the fall semester of the year they desire entry. Students must consult department advisors for assistance with their schedules. An asterisk (*) denotes courses that will be used in scoring application.
- CHEM 106 - Chemistry Survey (C) [SGR #6] *
- CHEM 106L - Chemistry Survey Laboratory (C) [SGR #6] *
- CHEM 107 - Organic and Biochemistry Survey (C) [SGR #6] *
- CHEM 107L - Organic and Biochemistry Survey Laboratory (C) [SGR#6] *
- ENGL 101 - Composition I (C) [SGR #1] *
- MATH 102 - College Algebra (C) [SGR #5] *
- MATH 103 - Quantitative Literacy (C) [SGR #5] *
- MATH 104 - Finite Mathematics (C) [SGR #5] *
- MICR 230 - Basic Microbiology *
- MICR 232 - Basic Microbiology Lab *
- PHGY 220 - Human Anatomy and Integrated Physiology I [SGR #6] *
- PHGY 220L - Human Anatomy and Integrated Physiology Laboratory I [SGR #6] *
- PHGY 230 - Human Anatomy and Integrated Physiology II [SGR #6] *
- PHGY 230L - Human Anatomy and Integrated Physiology II Laboratory [SGR #6] *
- PSYC 101 - General Psychology (C) [SGR #3] *
- SOC 100 - Introduction to Sociology (C) [SGR #3] *
- SPCM 101 - Fundamentals of Speech (C) [SGR #2] *
- Mathematics 3cr - any math course beyond MATH 102, any STAT course, BADM 220-Business Statistics, CSC 105-Intro to Computers, PSYC 371-Statistics in Psychological Research, SOC 309-Statistics Research Methods, TET 200-Basic Skills in Technology
Professional Interest Electives - 12 credits required; Suggested disciplines from which to choose classes: Addiction Studies, Business, Communication Disorders, Educational Psychology, Foreign Language, Health, Health Sciences, Health Services Administration, Psychology, Sociology, Speech Communication.
General Education requirements (9 hours)
- Arts and Humanities (excluding English) fulfilling SGR Goal #4 (6 cr.)-3 credit hours must be in Arts and 3 credit hours must be in Humanities.
- Advanced Composition Course in addition to ENGL 101, SGR Goal #1 (3 cr.)
Departmental Requirements (61 hours)
Four-Year Program Guides and Costs
USD encourages students to take 15 credits per semester or 30 credits within the year in order to graduate in 4 years. To help students complete their academic degree program in four years, we provide a sample academic plan. Please work with your academic advisor to confirm your plan.