Apr 20, 2024  
2020-2021 Graduate Catalog 
2020-2021 Graduate Catalog [Archived Catalog]

Chemistry (M.S.)

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Colleges & Schools

Master of Science, Chemistry, Plan A only (thesis): Total 30 credit hours

Major Area Coursework

The following courses are required for all Master’s students in Chemistry. The department can approve exceptions if an alternative program of study is more appropriate.

Accelerated Master’s Program: B.S./M.S.

Up to 12 credits applied toward the B.S. program may be used to satisfy graduate credit.  The following restrictions apply:

  1. Dual-listed courses taken at the 500-level can be applied to both the B.S. and M.S. degrees. Dual-listed courses must be taken at the 500-level.

  2. The student must apply to, and be admitted to, the accelerated program prior to taking courses to be credited toward the accelerated program.

  3. No courses taken prior to admission to the accelerated program may be counted toward an accelerated graduate degree.

  4. Courses that are “double counted” must be approved by the program coordinator for inclusion in the program of study prior to registration for the course or the credits will not be applied toward the accelerated graduate degree.

  5. Only courses taken at the student’s home institution are eligible for accelerated program credit. No transferred courses from other institutions will be allowed to count toward the accelerated master’s degree.

  6. Students admitted to the accelerated M.S. Program may be allowed to register for all courses included in his/her program of study and these credit hours may apply to both undergraduate and graduate degree requirements.

Student Learning Outcomes

  1. Students will demonstrate basic knowledge and competency in organic, inorganic, physical, and analytical sub-disciplines of chemistry as assessed by American Chemical Society (ACS) exams.
  2. Students will demonstrate competence in independently gathering, interpreting and communicating the results of modern chemical research, and be able to independently design an experimental or theoretical strategy to solve a defined problem in chemistry.

State Authorization - It Matters Where You Live

If your learning placement course (internship, externship, clinical, rotation, practicum, independent study, study away, etc.) or your online course will be taken outside South Dakota, please reference the State Authorization webpage.

State Authorization

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Colleges & Schools