Apr 21, 2024  
2020-2021 Graduate Catalog 
2020-2021 Graduate Catalog [Archived Catalog]

Secondary Education Plus Certification (M.A.)

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Colleges & Schools

Admissions Information     

This program enables individuals with a baccalaureate degree in a content area equivalent to an approved University of South Dakota teaching major to become certified at the secondary-school level in South Dakota and earn a Master of Arts degree. Students with degrees in art, music and physical education will also have to satisfy the necessary requirements for K-12 certification. This program is unique in that students are required to complete specific undergraduate course work that is required for certification and one semester of student teaching in addition to graduate course requirements. Specific requirements are determined through a careful transcript review process.

Praxis Information for Initial Teacher Certification

A series of Praxis tests are required for successful completion of the program and to earn initial teaching certification. Students pursuing initial teacher certification will need to pass the Praxis II subject-specific Content Knowledge test in their teaching major, and the Praxis II, Principles of Learning (PLT) for successful completion of program and teacher licensure. Admission is provisional until the content knowledge test is successfully passed.

Master of Arts, Secondary Education with certification Plan B only (non-thesis only): Total 33 credit hours

  • Graduate SEED core 21 credit hours
  • Required supporting courses 12 credit hours

Student Learning Outcomes

  1. Majors in Secondary Education will demonstrate content knowledge in their major field. 
  2. Majors in Secondary Education will demonstrate the application of teaching and learning principles in the field of education. 
  3. Majors in Secondary Education will have an impact on student learning in their major field. 

Courses or Programs Leading to Professional Licensure or Certification

The University of South Dakota as of July 1, 2020, cannot confirm whether any particular course or program meets educational prerequisites for professional licensure or certification in states other than South Dakota. If you are planning to apply for licensure/certification in a state other than South Dakota after completion of your program, contact the academic department offering your major or CDE at 605.658.6152 or by email at cde@usd.edu. USD is working to comply with these requirements and will provide up-to-date information as it becomes available.

If your learning placement course (internship, externship, clinical, rotation, practicum, independent study, study away, etc.) or your online course will be taken outside South Dakota, please reference the State Authorization webpage below.

Information about State Authorization & Professional Licensure

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Colleges & Schools