Jun 02, 2023  
2021-2022 Undergraduate Catalog 
2021-2022 Undergraduate Catalog [Archived Catalog]

Elementary Education & Early Childhood (B.S.Ed.)

78 Elementary Education Major Hours, 124 Degree Hours


A student must have a Cumulative GPA of 2.6 to co-register for EDFN 338  and ELED 296 , and a CGPA of 2.7 to be admitted to the Teacher Education Program. 

Several early childhood courses are not offered each semester. Therefore, follow the catalog carefully and when in doubt, contact an academic advisor in the School of Education.

Must be admitted into Teacher Education to be enrolled in courses in the junior year and beyond.

Teacher candidates submit an application for student teaching/residency in December if planning on student teaching in the upcoming fall, or in April if planning on student teaching the following spring. Prior to student teaching, students must have all major/minor coursework completed, and a 2.7 cumulative and major GPA. All coursework in the major/minor must be completed with a “C” or better.

Majors must complete the Natural Science/Natural World requirement by completing the following four courses each with a lab component: PHYS 104; CHEM 104; ESCI 104; BIOL 104. Each of these two- credit hour courses runs eight-weeks; two courses should be taken in one semester.

System General Education Requirements Elementary Education (15 credit hours*)

Four-Year Program Guides and Costs

USD encourages students to take 15 credits per semester or 30 credits within the year in order to graduate in 4 years. To help students complete their academic degree program in four years, we provide a sample academic plan. Please work with your academic advisor to confirm your plan.

Courses or Programs Leading to Professional Licensure or Certification

The educational curriculum for your academic program may or may not meet educational prerequisites for professional licensure or certification in states other than South Dakota. If you are planning to apply for licensure/certification in a state other than South Dakota after completion of your program, please review that state and your program on USD’s Licensure-Track Programs webpage.  Licensure-Track Programs

If your learning placement course (internship, externship, clinical, rotation, practicum, independent study, study away, etc.) or your online course will be taken outside South Dakota, please reference the USD’s State Authorization webpage.

State Authorization