Feb 29, 2024  
2021-2022 Undergraduate Catalog 
2021-2022 Undergraduate Catalog [Archived Catalog]

Secondary Education-Physical Education specialization (B.S.Ed.)

75 Major Hours, 120 Degree Hours

Physical Education majors help children develop fundamental motor skills that lead to the promotion of healthy lifestyles and positive attitudes toward lifelong physical activity. In addition, physical educators commonly serve as coaches for interscholastic sports. There are unique requirements associated with teacher certification and licensure that are standard across the Teacher Education program. Please see Admission to Teacher Education for details.

Secondary Education Core (40 hours)

Must be admitted to Teacher Education Program to enroll in following courses and earn C or better before admission to Student Teaching (Note: INED 211, EDFN 475, SPED 100, and EPSY 200 may be taken prior to being admitted to Teacher Education Program).


A student must have a CGPA of 2.6 to co-register for EDFN 338  and PE 296 , and a CGPA of 2.7 to be admitted to the Teacher Education Program.

Must be admitted into Teacher Education to be enrolled in courses in junior year and beyond.

Teacher candidates submit an application for student teaching/residency in December if planning on student teaching in the upcoming fall, or in April if planning on student teaching the following spring. Prior to student teaching, students must have all major/minor coursework completed, and a 2.7 cumulative and major GPA. All coursework in the major/minor must be completed with a “C” or better.

Four-Year Program Guides and Costs

USD encourages students to take 15 credits per semester or 30 credits within the year in order to graduate in 4 years. To help students complete their academic degree program in four years, we provide a sample academic plan. Please work with your academic advisor to confirm your plan. 

Courses or Programs Leading to Professional Licensure or Certification

The educational curriculum for your academic program may or may not meet educational prerequisites for professional licensure or certification in states other than South Dakota. If you are planning to apply for licensure/certification in a state other than South Dakota after completion of your program, please review that state and your program on USD’s Licensure-Track Programs webpage.  Licensure-Track Programs

If your learning placement course (internship, externship, clinical, rotation, practicum, independent study, study away, etc.) or your online course will be taken outside South Dakota, please reference the USD’s State Authorization webpage.

State Authorization