Feb 29, 2024  
2021-2022 Undergraduate Catalog 
2021-2022 Undergraduate Catalog [Archived Catalog]

Psychology (B.A., B.S.)

34 Major Hours, 120 Degree Hours

Students in this major must also complete requirements for a degree in the College of Arts & Sciences .

PSYC Electives for non-specialization (8-9 hours)

Any non-required USD psychology course (with a PSYC prefix) will count as a PSYC elective, except for the following. PSYC 359 does not count toward the Psychology Major. 

B.A. and B.S. Distribution Requirements:

The following PSYC courses count toward the B.A. and B.S. distribution requirements:

Either Natural Sciences or Social Sciences:

These courses may be used to satisfy either natural sciences or social sciences distribution requirements, but the same course cannot be counted as both natural sciences and social sciences:


Depending upon the content of Special Topics and individual study courses, they may be designated as either natural sciences or social sciences.

Area of Specialization within the Psychology Major: Disaster Response

Double Major (Psychology and Sociology)

Note: Students double-majoring in Psychology and Sociology may use PSYC 241/SOC 241 Social Psychology in both majors and may use either statistics course, SOC 309 Social Science Statistics or PSYC 371 Statistics in Psychological Research, and either methods course, SOC 410 Methods of Social Research or PSYC 373 Research Methods in Experimental Psychology (NOT PSYC 275), to fulfill requirements for both majors.

Four-Year Program Guides and Costs

USD encourages students to take 15 credits per semester or 30 credits within the year in order to graduate in 4 years. To help students complete their academic degree program in four years, we provide a sample academic plan. Please work with your academic advisor to confirm your plan. 

State Authorization - It Matters Where You Live

If your learning placement course (internship, externship, clinical, rotation, practicum, independent study, study away, etc.) or your online course will be taken outside South Dakota, please reference USD’s State Authorization webpage.

State Authorization