59 Major Hours, 120 Degree Hours
This program will provide students with the knowledge and practical skills required of a public health generalist. The curriculum provides a broad general education, a strong foundation in human health and disease, addressing the five core areas of public health including health communication, health disparities, legal and ethical issues, management of public health systems, and policy and research.
Graduates will develop the ability to apply core concepts to assess the health needs of diverse populations locally, nationally and internationally, plan and evaluate programs, and communicate and advocate health promotion. Graduates will be prepared to impact the delivery of crucial public health services, thus improving the health, safety, and welfare of local, regional, national, and global communities.
- completed a minimum of 30 semester hours with a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or above as verified on an official transcript
- completed HSC 315 Intro to Public Health and PUBH 250 Environmental and Social Determinants of Health with grades of “C” or better
- personal statement indicating reasons for pursuing a degree in public health, aspirations for future employment in the public health field, personal attributes and strengths that will facilitate success in this degree, and statement of areas intended to improve personally and professionally
- letter of recommendation from an academic, work, or personal reference (not a family member)
Provisional acceptance will be initially granted to applicants with full approval offered when the following are met:
- Successful completion of the School of Health Sciences criminal background check
- Proof of comprehensive personal health insurance
- Compliance with all Health Affairs immunization policies and deadlines
Applications to the BS in PH program must be received by June 1st for Fall selection. Program admission begins Fall 2022.
State Authorization - It Matters Where You Live
If your learning placement course (internship, externship, clinical, rotation, practicum, independent study, study away, etc.) or your online course will be taken outside South Dakota, please reference USD’s State Authorization webpage.