Sep 26, 2022
Become an expert in school and human service organizations with an advanced degree in counseling and psychology in education. You may pursue an M.A., Ed.S., or Ph.D. in human development and educational psychology. Our small class size allows you to develop one-on-one relationships with faculty as you gain the necessary skills to serve the educational and mental health needs of children. Learn more at usd.edu/cpe.
DELIVERY: On campus
Degree Requirements for Doctorate in Counseling and Psychology in Education - Human Development and Educational Psychology Specialization
Total 93 credit hours or a minimum of 60 credits hour beyond a conferred master’s degree.
- Master’s degree or 30 credit hours master-level coursework
- Education Psychology Doctoral core 30 credit hours
- Supporting courses 15 credit hours
- Dissertation 15 credit hours minimum
- Upon successful completion of the first nine credit hours of coursework, students will complete a preliminary examination.
- The Ph.D. degree requires a minimum of 60 credit hours beyond the master’s Degree.
- Students may earn a master’s degree during completion of the Ph.D. requirements.
- Comprehensive examinations must be completed after at least 80% of the course work toward a PhD is completed, preferably in the final semester of coursework.
- Two consecutive years are required in-residence, which means that during this time students must enroll in at least 6 credit hours of coursework, predominantly on campus or hybrid.
- Candidates are required to complete a specified core of courses covering human development, learning theory, measurement, statistics and research design.
- Students may take up to 9 dissertation hours prior to proposal.
Human Development and Educational Psychology remaining core coursework (Ph.D.): 30 credit hours
Complete 9 hours in one area of emphasis:
Educational Psychology and Adult Learning Emphasis must complete the following courses:
Human Development Emphasis must complete 9 credits from the following courses:
Electives: 15 credit hours
Dissertation: 15 credit hours minimum
- With the aid of their advisor and approval of their graduate committee, students can tailor their program to fit their areas of expertise and career goals. This is done through elective course work, independent studies and practicum experiences.
- Completed application
- $35 application fee
- Official transcripts*
- Letters of recommendation*
- Admission test scores*
- Statement of purpose
*Requirements for admission vary by program and may require different documentation and have different deadlines. For specific program requirements and submission deadline, visit: catalog.usd.edu.
State Authorization - It Matters Where You Live
If your learning placement course (internship, externship, clinical, rotation, practicum, independent study, study away, etc.) or your online course will be taken outside South Dakota, please reference USD’s State Authorization webpage.