Apr 23, 2024  
2022-2023 Graduate Catalog 
2022-2023 Graduate Catalog [Archived Catalog]

Counseling and Psychology in Education-Human Development and Educational Psychology (M.A.)

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Colleges & Schools

Program Overview

Become an expert in school and human service organizations with an advanced degree in counseling and psychology in education. You may pursue an M.A., Ed.S., or Ph.D. in human development and educational psychology. Our small class size allows you to develop one-on-one relationships with faculty as you gain the necessary skills to serve the educational and mental health needs of children. The non-thesis M.A. track can be obtained on-campus or online. The thesis M.A. is on-campus only. Learn more at usd.edu/cpe.

DELIVERY: On campus | Online

Degree Requirements for Master of Arts in Counseling and Psychology in Education - Human Development and Educational Psychology Specialization

The Master’s degree offers two options: Plan A, which requires a thesis, and Plan B, a non-thesis alternative. Students must maintain a 3.0 grade point average throughout the program. For Plan B students, a final written comprehensive examination is required prior to graduation. Students in Plan A must successfully defend a master’s thesis. Students continuing toward a Ph.D. should complete Plan A.

Plan A (thesis): Total 33 credit hours

Plan B (non-thesis): Total 33 credit hours

  • Human Development and Educational Psychology core 15 credit hours
  • Supporting courses 18 credit hours
Preliminary Examination

Upon successful completion of the first 9 credit hours of coursework, students will complete a preliminary examination.

Application Requirements

  1. Completed application
  2. $35 application fee
  3. Official transcripts*
  4. Letters of recommendation*
  5. Admission test scores*
  6. Statement of purpose
  7. Resume/CV*

*Requirements for admission vary by program and may require different documentation and have different deadlines. For specific program requirements and submission deadline, visit: catalog.usd.edu.

State Authorization - It Matters Where You Live

If your learning placement course (internship, externship, clinical, rotation, practicum, independent study, study away, etc.) or your online course will be taken outside South Dakota, please reference USD’s State Authorization webpage.

State Authorization


Division of Counseling and Psychology in Education
605-658-6623 | cpe@usd.eduusd.edu/cpe

Graduate Admissions
605-658-6140 | gradadmissions@usd.edu  | usd.edu/grad

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Colleges & Schools