Apr 23, 2024  
2022-2023 Graduate Catalog 
2022-2023 Graduate Catalog [Archived Catalog]

Counseling and Psychology in Education-Human Development and Educational Psychology ( Ed.S.)

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Colleges & Schools

Program Overview

Become an expert in school and human service organizations with an advanced degree in counseling and psychology in education. You may pursue an M.A., Ed.S., or Ph.D. in human development and educational psychology. Our small class size allows you to develop one-on-one relationships with faculty as you gain the necessary skills to serve the educational and mental health needs of children. Learn more at usd.edu/cpe.

DELIVERY: On campus

Specialist in Education, Human Development and Educational Psychology

The specialist degree requires a minimum of 36 hours beyond the master’s degree in a related field. The requirements can be tailored to the student’s needs and career goals with the approval of their graduate committee.


- Master’s degree must include USD’s 15 credit-hour core or its equivalent.


- As a culminating activity, students complete a six credit-hour research project EDER 888S  or EPSY 898S  6 cr hrs. This project will be designed to meet individual interests and needs and is guided by the student’s advisor.

- Upon successful completion of nine credit hours of coursework, students will complete a preliminary examination.

- A final defense of the research project is required before graduation.

Application Requirements

  1. Completed application
  2. $35 application fee
  3. Official transcripts*
  4. Letters of recommendation*
  5. Admission test scores*
  6. Statement of purpose
  7. Resume/CV*

*Requirements for admission vary by program and may require different documentation and have different deadlines. For specific program requirements and submission deadline, visit: catalog.usd.edu.

State Authorization - It Matters Where You Live

If your learning placement course (internship, externship, clinical, rotation, practicum, independent study, study away, etc.) or your online course will be taken outside South Dakota, please reference USD’s State Authorization webpage.

State Authorization


Division of Counseling and Psychology in Education
605-658-6623 | cpe@usd.eduusd.edu/cpe

Graduate Admissions
605-658-6140 | gradadmissions@usd.edu  | usd.edu/grad

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Colleges & Schools