Jul 17, 2024  
2014-2015 Undergraduate Catalog 
2014-2015 Undergraduate Catalog [Archived Catalog]

Tuition, Fees, and Financial Assistance

Click on any of the following links for information:


Tuition, fees, and all other student charges are payable in full at the times designated in the Schedule of Classes. Any student who has questions regarding the payment of tuition and fees should contact the Business Office, Room 207, Slagle Hall, in advance of registration. Students who do not pay by the established deadlines will be subject to late charges or administrative withdrawal.

Billing and Payment of Student Accounts


The University of South Dakota provides an electronic billing and payment system known as SDePay. Students can retrieve their billing statements online and make payments through WebAdvisor with either an electronic check or a credit card as part of SDePay.

The student’s tuition and fee bill will be available on SDePay after they are registered for classes. Students will not receive a paper billing statement in the mail. An email will be sent from SDePay to the student’s official USD email address and the authorized payers email address announcing their billing statement is ready to be viewed and paid online. This email will be sent each time a new tuition and fee statement is generated. However, the student and authorized payer may view the current account balance at any time through SDePay. Payment is due in full by the assigned due date. The due date for the bill will appear on the most current billing statement.

The student can set up their parents or guardians as authorized payers on SDePay by logging into WebAdvisor, accessing SDePay and granting them access. The authorized payer will receive a link in an email notification that will take them directly to SDePay, where they can safely log into the system by using the username and password assigned to them by their student. Authorized payers may view and print student’s e-bills and make electronic payments (e-check or credit card) on the student’s behalf. Authorized payers may also set up their accounts to receive emails each time a new billing statement is posted for the student.

Payment on student accounts can also be made in person at the Business Office or through the mail. The Business Office is located in Slagle Hall Room 207 and accepts cash, check, money order or certified check made payable to “USD.” If the payment is mailed, please include the student id number on the bottom of the check to ensure the amount is posted to the correct account.

Tuition and Fee Payment times and locations are posted to the USD Business Office website and an email will be sent to your USD email account to notify you of the current semester’s procedures.

Tuition and Fees


Credit Hour Basis of Tuition Charges

All tuition charges at institutions of higher education under the jurisdiction of the Board of Regents will be on a per credit hour basis. Medical and Law school tuition will be on a semester basis.

Late Charge

A late charge will be assessed on all accounts not paid by the established deadline. Students may be dismissed for nonpayment.

Special Tuition Classifications


Specific criteria and program regulations are available from Financial Aid/Registration for any of the special tuition classifications listed below.

Minnesota Tuition Reciprocity

The tuition rate paid by undergraduate or graduate students from Minnesota is based upon the higher of two state rates: a) the tuition and fee rate at the institution attended, or b) the weighted average tuition and fee rate of the four-year public institutions in Minnesota. First-time freshmen entering directly from high school will automatically be granted reciprocity. Students who transfer, are re-admitted, or enter as non-traditional, must apply for reciprocity to the Minnesota Higher Education Services Office, in St. Paul, MN.

Minnesota residents who attend first professional degree programs will not pay more than 150% of the resident rates. Application must be made to the Minnesota Higher Education Office in St. Paul, MN.

Senior Citizens

Resident individuals who are at least 65 years of age or who will be 65 years of age during the calendar year in which they take courses pay tuition at the rate of one-fourth the cost of resident tuition. Students who qualify for this special rate must request the tuition adjustment and provide proof of age (driver’s license or birth certificate) to Registration during the first two weeks of the semester.

Vocational Rehabilitation Clients

All persons who are receiving tuition support from the South Dakota Department of Vocational Rehabilitation are entitled to pay tuition at resident rates.

Members of the South Dakota National Guard

SD National Guard members may be eligible for a reduction equal to 50% of the resident state-support tuition rate.

Eligible Air National Guard will be charged a reduced rate equal to 50% of the resident rate.

State Employees

Employees of the State of South Dakota who meet all of the following criteria are entitled to pay tuition for up to six credits each semester at the University of South Dakota at one-half the regular tuition rate. Tuition reduction for self-support classes at UCSF, UCRC, and CUC is also available for those meeting the criteria below. This benefit does not apply to self-support internet courses.

Eligibility Criteria:

  1. Continuously employed by the State of South Dakota for one year or more (disregarding any leave without pay)
  2. Resident of the State of South Dakota
  3. Grade point average is 2.00 or greater
  4. Received a merit rating of competent or better in the most recent merit appraisal or is otherwise certified as competent
  5. A benefit-eligible employee

This program is on a space-available basis.


Vocational, elementary, and secondary teachers who meet all of the following criteria will pay tuition at one-half the regular tuition rate for up to six credit hours each academic year.

Eligibility Criteria:

  1. Residents of South Dakota
  2. Employed by an accredited school in South Dakota as a teacher
  3. Required to attend college as a condition of employment or to maintain a certificate to teach
  4. Certified by the school district as eligible for this program
  5. Grade point average is 3.00 or better

This program is on a space-available basis and does not apply to self-support tuition or fees.

Graduate Assistants

Graduate assistants and graduate student fellows shall be assessed one-third of the resident graduate tuition rate.

Dual Credit

Dual Credit Course tuition rate is offered to qualified public high school students participating in dual credit courses offered in person or at the University Centers. $105 of the rate is provided by the SD Department of Education and applied towards the student’s account.


South Dakota residents who are junior or senior students and who are contracted senior Reserve Officer Training Corp cadets in good standing will pay 50% of the undergraduate resident tuition rate. Those students may not be receiving an ROTC scholarship or be a member of the simultaneous membership program.

Free Tuition

The South Dakota Legislature has approved the following programs entitling certain individuals to free tuition (and in some cases fees). This benefit does not apply to self-support tuition or fees.  Self-support tuition is offered at a reduced tuition rate.

  1. Veterans and others who performed war service
  2. Children and spouses of National Guardsmen who were disabled or died in the line of duty
  3. Visually impaired persons
  4. Children of residents who died during service in the armed forces
  5. Dependents of prisoners of war or those missing in action

Classification for Tuition and Fee Purposes


Students enrolling in any of the state institutions shall be classified as resident or nonresident for admission, fee, and tuition purposes by an appropriate institutional officer. The decision shall be based upon information furnished by the student and all other relevant information. The officer is authorized to require such written documents, affidavits, verifications, or other evidence necessary to establish the residence of the student, including proof of emancipation, adoption, or appointment of a guardian. Students have the burden of establishing residency by clear and convincing evidence.

For purposes of tuition, residence means the place where a person has a permanent home and intends to remain for an indefinite period.

Resident Classification

Persons shall be classified as resident students if they have continuously resided in South Dakota for at least twelve consecutive months immediately preceding the first scheduled day of classes of the semester or other session in which the individual registers in the regental system, without having been students during that period.

Absence from South Dakota to pursue post-secondary education does not deprive a bona fide resident of resident student status.

Persons once properly classified as residents shall be deemed to remain resident students so long as remaining continuously enrolled in the regental system.

International students whose visas permit them to establish domiciles in the United States or its territories or protectorates may qualify for resident tuition in the same manner as United States citizens.

Any person who graduates from a South Dakota high school qualifies for resident tuition rates at the institutions controlled by the Board of Regents.

The Board of Regents shall reclassify any nonresident student to the status of resident student upon timely proof of marriage of the student to a resident of South Dakota.

Residence of Unemancipated Persons

The residence of unemancipated persons (those under the care, custody and support of parents) under twenty-four years of age follows that of the parent(s) or of legal guardians. The parent(s) of the student are not required to reside in South Dakota twelve months prior to the student’s enrollment for the students to be classified as residents; however, the parent(s) must remain in South Dakota for a minimum of twelve months in order for students to retain residency status.

Retention of Residence While in Military Service

Persons in military service who list South Dakota as their “home of record” and who, immediately upon release, return to South Dakota to enter college shall be classified as residents.

Nonresident Classification

Students are considered to be nonresidents if they did not reside in the state for twelve months prior to enrolling at a Board controlled institution.

Physical presence in South Dakota for the predominant purpose of attending an institution of higher education controlled by the Board does not count in determining the twelve-month period of residence.

Changes of Classification

The following factors are relevant in evaluating a requested change in the student’s nonresident status and in evaluating whether the person’s physical presence in South Dakota is for the predominant purpose of attending an institution of higher education controlled by the Board of Regents:

  1. The residence of an unemancipated student’s parents or guardians
  2. The status of the source of the student’s income
  3. To whom a student pays taxes, including property taxes
  4. The state in which a student’s automobile is registered
  5. The state issuing the student’s driver’s license
  6. Where the student is registered to vote
  7. Ownership of property in South Dakota and outside of South Dakota
  8. The residence claimed by the student on loan application, federal income tax returns, and other documents
  9. Admission to a licensed profession
  10. Membership in civic, community, and other organizations in South Dakota or elsewhere
  11. The facts and documents pertaining to the person’s past and existing status as a student: and
  12. Any person who is a veteran as defined by §§ 33A-2-1 and 33A-2-2 

Classification appeal procedure

Students may appeal the original classification decision by written petition to the Residency Appeals Committee within 30 days after registration for that semester.

After twelve months of continuous presence in South Dakota, students who were initially classified as nonresidents may petition the Board of Regents for reclassification.

If a petition for reclassification is granted, the reduced tuition rate shall become effective with the first semester or session following the date on which the petition is granted. Students who fail to request resident status prior to a particular semester or session or to pursue a timely appeal shall be deemed to have waived any claim for reduced tuition for that semester or session.

Tuition and Fee Rates


Rates are charged according to the policies of the Board of Regents and are subject to change without prior notice.

The following rates were effective starting with summer session of 2014. Rates are revised annually.

Tuition - Per Credit Hour

  Resident   $138.80
  SD National Guard-Resident and Non-Resident (fees discounted)* $138.80
  SD Air National Guard-Resident and Non-Resident  $69.40
  State Employee-Resident  $69.40
  ROTC-Resident  $69.40
  Teacher Certification - Resident  $69.40
  Over Sixty-Five Resident $34.75
  Non-Resident  $208.20
  Minnesota Reciprocity-Summer  $159.25
  *Reduction assessed on USF and GAF fees  
  Resident    $210.40
  SD National Guard-Resident and Non-Resident (fees discounted)*  $210.40
  SD Air National Guard-Resident and Non-Resident  $105.20
  State Employee-Resident  $105.20
  Teacher Certification-Resident  $105.20
  Graduate Assistant-Resident and Non-Resident  $70.15
  Over Sixty-Five-Resident  $52.60
  Non-Resident  $445.30
  Allied Health Non-Resident (PA, PT, OT)  $647.75
  Allied Health Minnesota Reciprocity (PA, PT, OT) $446.70
  Minnesota Reciprocity-Summer  $316.80
  *Reduction assessed on USF and GAF fees  
Law School  
  Resident-Semester Rate    $3,827.00
  SD National Guard - Resident and Non-Resident - Semester Rate (fees discounted)*  $3,827.00
  Air National Guard - Resident and Non-Resident - Semester Rate $2,249.00
  Non-Resident - Semester Rate  $11,634.00
  Graduate Assistant - Resident and Non-Resident - Semester Rate  $ 1,271.25
  Minnesota - Summer - per credit  $7,267.50
  *Reduction assessed on USF and GAF fees  
Medical School - Semester Tuition
  Resident    $12,290.00
  Non-Resident  $30,433.00
*Self-Support Off-campus Resident and Non-Resident  
   Undergraduate Internet $312.90
   Undergraduate State Employee UC-SF, UC-RC, and CUC   $243.85
   Undergraduate Distance Education Centers   $312.90
   Undergraduate Remedial $312.90
   Undergraduate Qualified Veteran $179.80
   Undergraduate SD National Guard, Air National Guard $246.35
   Graduate Internet $414.85
   Graduate Assistant Internet, UC-SF, UC-RC and CUC $286.10
   Graduate State Employee UC-SF, UC-RC, and CUC $310.20
   Graduate Distance Education Centers $414.85
   Graduate SD National Guard, Air National Guard $313.90
   Externally Supported $ 40.00
   Graduate Qualified Veteran $414.85
Dual Credit Hours $145.00
Technical Institute  
   Undergraduate Resident $254.15
   Undergraduate Non-Resident $338.95
   Undergraduate Resident and Non-Resident SD National Guard $187.60
   Undergraduate Resident and Non-Resident SD Air National Guard $187.60
   Undergraduate Qualified Veteran $121.05
 *Off-campus rates reflect the total per credit hour cost (tuition and fees).



System Fees

  Application Fee-Undergraduate  $20.00
  Application Fee-Graduate  $35.00
  Transcript  $5.00
    Each Additional Transcript, per request  $2.50
        Exam for Credit - Course  $90.75
        International Student Fee - Per Semester  $100.00
Required Fees - per credit hour  
        University Support Fee - Resident $90.30
        University Support Fee - Non-Resident $113.30
        General Activity Fee  $38.30
        SD National Guard Grad University Support Fee N/C
Testing Fees  
  COMPASS, Proficiency, Technology Re-test $17.00
  Nursing Assessment (ASN) $188.75
  Nursing Assessment (BSN) $194.75
Program (per semester)/Course (per credit) Fees
  Lab Course - per course $56.40
  Law School - Per Semester $1,131.65
  School of Health Sciences Fee (OT,PT,PA &Dental) per credit hour $95.70
  Communication Sciences and Disorders - Per Semester $102.15
  School of Business - Undergraduate - Per Credit Hour
(Business School Classes Only)
  School of Business - Graduate - Per Credit Hour
(Business School Classes Only)
  Math, Statistics, and Lower Division Computer Science - per credit hour $22.05
  Computer Science Upper Division - per credit hour $66.85
  Physics - per credit hour $66.85
  Chemistry - per credit hour $22.05
  Music Undergraduate/Graduate - per credit hour $12.55
  Professional Education Majors:
    Soph/Junior Field Experience - Per Semester $164.35
    Senior Field Experience - Per Semester $328.95
    Master’s Level Internship - One Time $164.35
    Specialist Level Intern - One Time $332.85
    Doctoral Level Intern - One Time $499.20
Vehicle Registration - (parking permit)
  Automobile - Annual $126.00
Delivery Fees  
  Nursing Program Off-Campus-per credit hour $128.60
  Nursing Program Off-Campus - per credit hour - SD National Guard Undergrad $59.20
  International Student Delivery Fee-per credit hour $384.70
  Professional MBA (Sioux Falls pMBA) per credit hour $364.25
  Communications Disorders - Speech Pathology Semester $102.15
  Master of Social Work - per credit hour $128.60
  Master of Social Work - credit hour - SD National Guard $46.40
  Medical Student Off-Campus - credit hour $128.60
  PA Student Off-Campus - credit hour $128.60
Residence Halls  
  Single Occupancy - Per Semester $2,389.65
  Double Occupancy - Per Semester $1,962.82
  Triple Occupancy - Per Semester $1,623.55
  Double Room Single Occupancy - Per Semester $2,551.75
  Triple Room - Double Occupancy - Per Semester $2,189.15
  Suite Single - Per Semester - McFadden $2,903.35
  Summer Double - Per Week $103.35
  Summer Single - Per Week $125.45
  Summer Single-Semester $1,204.85
  Brookman Double Room Single Occupancy $2,424.10
  Coyote Village Super Suite 2BR - Per Semester $3,415.75
  Coyote Village Super Suite 4BR - Per Semester $2,846.55
  Coyote Village Apartment 2BR - Per Semester $3,636.85
  Coyote Village  Apartment 4BR - Per Semester $3,012.25
  Coyote Village Super Suite 2BR - Summer Semester $683.15
  Coyote Village Super Suite 4BR - Summer Semester $569.30
  Coyote Village -Apartment 2BR - Summer Semester $727.40
  Coyote Village -Apartment 4BR - Summer Semester $602.45
Food Service Plans for Residence Halls 
  Yote Pack 55 (55 Meals/$838 Flex per semester) $1,420.45
  Yote Pack 70 (70 Meals/$900 Flex per semester) $1,602.50
  Yote Pack 80 (80 Meals/$776 Flex per semester) $1.553.00
  Yote Pack 120 (120 Meals/$600 Flex per semester) $1,528.95
  Coyote 10 (10 meals per week/$332 Flex per semester) $1,420.40
  Coyote 17 (17 meals per week/$335 Flex per semester) $1,764.15
  Paw Power Pack ($1,679 Flex - Per Semester) $1,764.15
  Paw Pleaser ($1,336 Flex - Per Semester) $1,420.50
  Paw Pride ($739 Flex - Per Semester) $786.25
  Paw Print ($369 Flex - Per Semester) $392.80

Additional Charges

Students enrolled in certain courses for which services by an outside vendor are utilized (e.g., bowling, golf, fine arts) or when field trips are required may be required to pay for the additional costs. Students enrolled in programs requiring malpractice or other insurance will be required to reimburse payments made to the insurer on their behalf.

Registration and Refunds


Refund Policy

The end of the drop/add period for standard (those that conform to the regular semester schedule) and non-standard courses offered in a semester is the date the first 10 percent of the term ends or the day following the first class meeting, whichever is later.

Refunds for Dropped Course

A student receives a 100 percent refund of tuition and per-credit-hour fees for courses dropped within the drop/add period. No refund shall be provided for courses dropped after that time, except by administrative action. Any course meeting within a standard semester but for less time than the standard semester shall be treated as a non-standard semester course for refund purposes. Courses offered during summer school session and correspondence courses are considered non-standard courses.

Students who withdraw, drop out, or are expelled within the drop/add period receive a 100 percent refund of tuition and per-credit-hour fees. Students who withdraw, drop out, or are expelled after the drop/add period for which they are assessed may be entitled to a pro-rated refund as set forth herein.

Refunds for Withdrawals

Students who withdraw from the University may be entitled to a refund of tuition and fees and institutional charges calculated through 60 percent of an enrollment period. The refund shall be determined by computing the percentage of an enrollment period remaining after the date of withdrawal multiplied times the tuition and fees originally assessed the student. At no time will refunds be awarded after the 60 percent point of the enrollment period.

Students who receive a refund and are receiving Title IV aid may be required to repay the appropriate Title IV aid program from which they received assistance for any sums that have not been retained by the University for services rendered or that will no longer be required to support other ongoing expenses for attending the University. Specific information about possible repayment obligations may be obtained through the Financial Aid Office. Payment options are available through the Business Office.

Cancelled Registration

If a student’s registration is cancelled, no tuition and fee payment is due. If payments have been made, a student is eligible for a full refund.

Extensions and Waivers

The University president, or a designee, may extend or waive the time periods in the following circumstances:

  1. The death of the student;
  2. The student’s disabling condition or severe illness;
  3. The death, disability, or severe illness of immediate family members causing severe financial hardship to the student;
  4. Other extenuating circumstances beyond the student’s control.

Refunds for Residence Hall Fees

Students with a room contract who withdraw from the institution will receive a proportional refund at the time of withdrawal up to the 60 percent point, after which no refund is available.

Refund for Food Service Fees

Students with a food service contract who withdraw from the University will receive a proportional refund at the time of withdrawal up to the 60 percent point, after which no refund is available. Unused flex dollars for the current semester are returned at 100%.

Military Service - Withdrawal without Penalty

Students required to withdraw from the University before completing a semester may receive credit or refund privileges if they are regularly enrolled and belong to a military unit called for duty or are drafted and not eligible for deferment, and the discontinuance of class attendance is on the last practicable day before reporting for duty as determined by the University. Eligible students who are required to report for military duty not earlier than four calendar weeks prior to the date a semester ends as stated in the official catalog of the institution, or after completion of at least 75 percent of the enrollment period in a non-standard semester course, may, when authorized by the instructor, be given full credit for all courses in which they have an average of “C” or better. Eligible students who receive credit or an incomplete, in progress, or normal progress grade for any course in which they are enrolled shall not be entitled to any refund of tuition or fees paid. Eligible students who do not receive an incomplete, in progress, or normal progress grade, or credit for a course in which they are enrolled shall be entitled to a full refund of tuition and academic fees.

Options for Final Grades and Refunds


Weeks Still Remaining in Standard Semester


More Than
4 Weeks
Less Than
4 Weeks
  A   Refund A or Refund
  B   Refund B or Refund
  C   Refund C or Refund
  D   Refund Refund
  F   Refund Refund
  S   Refund S or Refund
  U   Refund Refund
  I, IP, NP   Refund I, IP, NP or Refund

***Course grade is as determined by the instructor, either the grade to date or the final earned grade to date. SDBOR 5:7

Military Service- Eligibility for Continued Enrollment- Students who belong to a military unit called for duty or who are drafted and not eligible for deferment and who are not required to withdraw from state supported institutions before completing an academic program to which they have been duly admitted will be eligible to resume work on the program after their release from active duty.

Financial Aid


The Financial Aid Office has one of the most important roles on a school campus. In addition to being responsible for following the rules and regulations of the financial aid programs, the Financial Aid Office:

  1. Determines a student’s eligibility for federal Title IV aid programs and prepares a “package” of financial aid programs to meet that eligibility. (This involves several steps and submission by students of many documents.) It is important to respond quickly and with complete information if the Financial Aid Office has questions or needs more documentation when preparing a financial aid package.

  2. Notifies the student aid applicant of the types, amounts, and conditions of the aid being offered in the form of an award letter.

Students must apply every academic year in order to determine eligibility for Title IV federal student financial aid. Students must apply for the aid programs by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). In general, FAFSAs should be filed by March 15 in order to receive aid for the following Fall/Spring term. This includes students who intend to attend summer school.

Students must be admitted to the University of South Dakota in a degree-granting program in order to be eligible for financial aid. Students may apply for aid before they are admitted to USD, but no aid will be awarded until admission status is official.

The University of South Dakota scholarship and federal grant aid will not exceed the cost of tuition, fees, room, board, and a fixed book allowance.



The University of South Dakota has an extensive scholarship program. Entering first-year students are encouraged to contact the Undergraduate Admissions Office for information, the application website and deadlines. Returning student scholarships are subject to renewal criteria and questions should be directed to Scholarship Administration. Scholarships are considered part of the total financial aid package and, in general, total aid may not exceed the student’s cost of instate attendance minus financial aid resources.

South Dakota Opportunity Scholarship

The South Dakota Opportunity Scholarship is sponsored by the South Dakota Board of Regents and provides $5,000 over four years to qualifying students who attend eligible higher education institutions in South Dakota. Applications and information regarding this scholarship can be found at www.sdbor.edu or at the Office of Financial Aid.

Coyote Commitment Scholarship Program

The Coyote Commitment is available to all entering freshmen who qualify based on academic achievement as measured by GPA, standardized test scores and committee review. All students who apply to USD are automatically considered for commitment awards ranging from $500 - $3,500 per year for four years as a full-time student. Although there is no deadline or separate application for this award, students should apply prior to March 15 for full consideration.



Federal Pell Grant

A Federal Pell Grant does not have to be repaid. Pell Grants are awarded only to undergraduate students who have not yet earned a bachelor’s or professional degree. The Pell Grant provides a foundation of financial aid to which other aid may be added.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant

A Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant is for undergraduate students with exceptional financial need. Priority is given to students who receive Federal Pell Grants. An FSEOG does not have to be repaid.



Parent Loans for Undergraduate Students (Parent PLUS)

Parent Loans for Undergraduate Students enable parents with good histories of credit to borrow money in order to pay the education expenses of dependent children who are undergraduate students enrolled at least half-time. The yearly limit on a PLUS loan is equal to the cost of attendance minus any other financial aid.

Graduate PLUS

The federal government has created a new Graduate PLUS Loan for students enrolled at least half-time in a graduate or professional program. Effective July 1, 2006 graduate students are eligible to borrow under the low interest, unsubsidized Federal PLUS Loan program on his/her own behalf. You must file the FAFSA and accept your entire Stafford eligibility in order to qualify for the Graduate PLUS loan.

Federal Perkins Loan

A Federal Perkins Loan is a low-interest (5%) loan for both undergraduate and graduate students with exceptional financial need. The University is your lender. You must repay this loan to the University of South Dakota.

Nursing Loan

Nursing Loans are available to eligible students who have been admitted to the Nursing Program. Terms and conditions of the loan program are similar to those of the Perkins Loans.

Stafford Loan

Stafford Loans are either subsidized or unsubsidized. A subsidized loan is awarded on the basis of financial need. Borrowers will not be charged any interest before beginning repayment or during authorized periods of deferment.

An unsubsidized loan is not awarded on the basis of need. Interest is charged from the time the loan is disbursed until it is paid in full. Students may allow the interest to accumulate (capitalize) while in school.

Students can receive a subsidized loan and an unsubsidized loan for the same enrollment period if they qualify under the federal regulations.

Sources of Other Aid


Students also may qualify for funding under Veterans Educational Benefits, Bureau of Indian Affairs, Vocational Rehabilitation, South Dakota National Guard, etc. Contact the appropriate agency or Registrar’s Office at USD for additional information.

Student Employment

There are employment opportunities on campus that are not work-study (federally) funded jobs. These jobs are not based on financial need, and students may apply directly to the employers. Jobs are posted at the Career Development Center. Wage rates vary depending on the type of work performed. Payday is the last working day of the month.

Work-Study Program

The Federal Work-Study Program provides jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay for educational expenses. The program encourages community service and work related to the student’s course of study. Federal Work-Study salary will be at least the current federal minimum wage, but it may be higher, depending on the type of work and the skills required. Federal Work-Study awards depend on time of application for financial aid, level of need, and the funding level of the school. The amount may not exceed the student’s total Federal Work-Study award. Jobs are available in many departments on campus; a list is available at the Career Development Center.

Financial Indebtedness Policy


Students who are in any way financially indebted to the University or who have failed to account for University property placed in their possession will be denied a transcript and subsequent enrollment until they have made a satisfactory settlement.

Satisfactory Academic Progress


Students must make satisfactory academic progress in their studies in order to continue receiving Federal Title IV aid. Satisfactory Academic Progress is cumulative and is based on the student’s completion rate, their grade point average, and a maximum time frame to complete their degrees. Satisfactory Academic Progress is measured each year at the completion of the spring semester. Students whose status is determined to be unsatisfactory may not be eligible to receive Title IV financial aid for the following year.