Jul 14, 2024  
2024-2025 Undergraduate Catalog 
2024-2025 Undergraduate Catalog

Kinesiology and Sport Management (B.S.)

34-55 Major Hours, 120 Degree Hours

Welcome to the Division of Kinesiology and Sport Management at the University of South Dakota. The undergraduate KSM program is comprised of two specializations: Exercise Science and Sport Management. Our division is known for being an energetic and innovative major providing students with the ability to conduct extraordinary research while gaining real world knowledge through practical experiences and exceptional internship opportunities. Students are attracted to this major due to the faculty’s interest in their individual growth as well as providing them with the marketable skills to become successful in today’s competitive business environment.

Departmental Requirements (34-55 hours)

*Minimum of 45 credit hours must be taken from USD.

*Maximum of 75 transfer credit hours may be applied to the degree.

Select a Required Specialization (25-46 hours)

Electives-Select 6-23 credit hours from pre-professional and/or applied emphasis:


It is recommended that students pursuing careers in strength & conditioning, sports performance, personal training, community fitness, or corporate wellness should select from the following list:


*Common pre-professional programs include physical therapy, occupational therapy, athletic training, chiropractic, physician assistant, and medical school.

Fast Track Kinesiology and Sport Management, B.S. Exercise Science specialization to Occupational Therapy, O.T.D. (37 hours)

Four-Year Program Guides and Costs

USD encourages students to take 15 credits per semester or 30 credits within the year in order to graduate in 4 years. To help students complete their academic degree program in four years, we provide a sample academic plan. Please work with your academic advisor to confirm your plan. 

Location Matters for Non-Licensure Track Programs

This program is not designed or advertised to lead to a professional license or certification required for employment.

USD is permitted to operate under the terms of the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (NC-SARA) policies and standards in offering online courses/degree programs to residents in 49 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands.  Online courses/programs may also be offered to residents of California (a non-SARA state) because it does not regulate out-of-state public institutions.

Additionally, this program is authorized to offer supervised field study experiences (internship, externship, clinical, rotation, practicum, independent study, study away, etc.) in South Dakota. Please be aware that there may be some restrictions on your ability to engage in supervised field study outside of South Dakota. Please contact a program representative if you have questions regarding supervised field study.

Distance education courses or programs will not be offered outside of the United States without prior written approval from the University, which may be withheld for any reason. If you are taking distance courses while physically located outside of the United States, it is your responsibility to confirm the following: (a) if the country will recognize an online degree; (b) the availability of supervised field study opportunities in the country; and (c) if the country charges any additional taxes, withholdings or fees associated with online distance education programs.

For more information, please visit USD’s State Authorization page or contact your admissions counselor.